Monday, February 28, 2011

Fin.

The tracking for our album is done! 10 acoustic guitar tracks, 5 drum tracks, 3 harmonicas, 1 banjo, 5 electric leads, 5 lead vocals, and 5 sets of LIVE background vocals in 2/3 part harmony.

All of this accomplished in 3 days. I am very proud of the work we did this weekend, and am immensely impressed with the skill and efficiency of all our guest musicians: Terry Brennan on vocals, Mike Bell on lead guitar, Carl Gallagher on banjo, and Will Prepestas on bass.

Brandon and I both agree, this is the most focused we have ever been while recording, playing live, rehearsing or anything. We were really on top of our game this weekend, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

Brandon's lead vocals were fantastic. At times it was ferocious, and was balanced on certain songs with a sense of vulnerability. He really let loose on this.

And the thing I may be most proud of personally was not my drumming. It was the fact that Terry, Will, Brandon and I walked into the tracking room, stood around one microphone, and started belting out the harmonies on several songs into one mic, on one track, with no overdubs, no ability to individually alter someones voice, and no ability to balance the individual volumes of the voices. We "Beach Boy'd" the vocals. They were tight, in tune, and powerful. Those of you who know me know how seriously I take harmony singing, and how hard I work at it. Though we didn't go nuts with the amount of vocal harmony, what IS there is quality, and I am very, very proud of it.

Now we move on to the post production phase of this record; mixing, mastering, duplication, NAMING IT, and artwork. The hard part is done. Also, arguably the most fun part.

Look for the WarrenScott EP to be released sometime this summer!

1 comment:

Sue Heacock said...

Can't wait for my autographed copy! Oh...and Happy Birthday, too :-)